Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: tellico is on fire!

Shaggy, Don't Give Up!!

Its tough fishing right now, man (I guess I shouldn't make the male assumption...I could have said dude...but I guess that might not have been appropriate, either)

Anyway, its just a bit too cold for the fish right now. I've been to places in the park that I always see fish and I have not seen any, lately. They're there, they're just hunkered down. Give it a go in another couple of weeks (maybe even late March), when the water temps have climbed up above 50. I think if you poke around on this site, you'll find very few people doing well right now.

The Tellico, Bald and North are too close to you to give up on 'em now. It took me several years (yes, I did say years) before I caught fish in the park with a flyrod (while I had been catching fish on the HI). If you can you should go with someone who has caught fish on the Tellico before and watch how they do it, you should be able to pick up a few things and then start catching them yourself. It may be fly selection, where you are on the river, your approach to the fish, casting technique or line management, but trust me, the fish are there...The Tellico is a fine watershed, don't let it defeat you!

Here's my disclaimer: After all, I did say that it took me years to catch a fish in the Park, so I might not be the best person to be giving advice (it would be easy to doubt my sanity). In fact, I started fishing in the park in 2000 and never caught a fish in the park until 2006. I could usually count on a half dozen fish on the HI, but could never catch one on the LR or around Tremont. The difference between Stockers and Wild Trout can be confounding. Once I learned about being stealthy, staying low and not backcasting unless I had no choice, I started to catch more wild trout. Confidence is also a big key. If you think you are going to catch fish, you usually do. If you are worried about getting skunked, you usually do...I have no idea why, but it just seems to be the case.

Keep trying...its not about the catching...

With wild fish, by the time you see them it is often too late...the fish are there, don't give up...
    "Then He said to them, 'Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men.'" Matthew 4:19

Guided Fly Fishing with David Knapp
    The Trout Zone Blog

I hate that you had a tuff day up there.... If you ever want to fish Tellico again I'd be glad to fish it with ya. It's funny how some streams treat people differently. I love it up at Tellico, but can't stand Citico. I have some buddies who go to Citico on a regular basis and swear it holds better fish than Tellico. I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder...well or fisher in this case.

Thank you all for the advice and kind words...I was very frustrated and just sounding off I guess. I got myself all worked up for a return to Tellico now that I am a little more experienced and I guess I just assumed the fish would throw themselves at me In actuality, it only proved that I will be a newbie at fly fishing for quite a bit longer. 2weight, I may very well take you up on that offer one day, I appreciate the help. If there is one thing that I have noticed since taking up FF is that most of the other anglers are VERY helpful to newbies like me.

Now, it was really not that bad of a day. The streams were beautiful (especially a deep pool with a small waterfall I found up the North River where I saw the 2 small fish dart past me with lightning speed) and there were no crowds either. Now that my frustration has subsided I can see that it was nice to just be there and I am only more determined to find these fish someday.

I have a question, where does Tellico River end and Citico begin, and also, during the stocking season what are the regulations on the river other than the daily permit? I saw people chucking corn this past summer and thought it was artificial lures only, or is that the North River?

Thanks again,

MikeC

I suppose the Tellico ends where the free flowing river runs into Tellico Lake.

Citico on the other hand begins up in the mountains a few valley's to the ne of where the Tellico begins. Citico forms where the North and South fork come together about 35 minutes from the lower Tellico up a long the Cherohala Skyway.

North and Bald Rivers are managed as wild trout fisheries and are artificial only. The Tellico is managed under different regs at different times of year. During the winter a Delayed Harvest is in effect from Turkey Creek up to the North and it is artificial only. During the normal permit season, just about anything goes on the Tellico as long as you have a daily permit.

Default John Gierach fishes Dixie...

Did anybody ready John Gierach's latest article in FR&R called, "Mountain Streams of Tennessee"? He fished the Tellico basin with Jim and Walter Babb. He did a good job of describing our cherished little streams, and it was neat to get his take on what the fishing is like in our neck of the woods.

I am planning and overnight trip to the Bald River this Friday night. I am new to FF and I want to be sure that I have all the flies that I might need.
    Specifically, what nymphs should I bring along??
    What dry flies should I have??
    Any streamers??
    I usually eat rice and trout or rice and rice when I go overnight so we will see how it goes, I hav eonly fished the Bald River once.

Thanks Guys, I am going to also post this under a new thread as well.